I call this lovely little pranayama sequence Sun Breath, but I am not really sure if that is the official name or I just made it up! I also sometimes call it Mountain Breath and have heard it referred to as Half Sun Salutation. Whatever the name, it is a really nice way to start your yoga practice.
Sun Breath warms your body and gets your energy moving. You begin to focus on your breath, synchronizing it with your movement. It stretches your spine, low back, hamstrings and shoulders. I also think that it is very peaceful and meditative.
It’s a simple practice that you can do anytime! Have a look at the video below for a demo of Sun Breath.
I usually do Sun Breath in rounds of three.
- Start in Mountain Pose with your hands at heart center.
- Inhale your arms up to the sky.
- Exhale and fold at the hips.
- Inhale to a halfway lift.
- Exhale and fold.
- Inhale all the way up to standing.
- Exhale your hands to heart center.